中文版

Introduction

  • Founded on November 14, 1956, the Anhui Museum was one of the four model museums at that time.

    On September 17, 1958, Chairman Mao Zedong made an inspection of the Anhui Museum and instructed that the main cities of a province should have such a museum and it was important to let people know their own history and power of creation. Zhou Enlai, Liu Shaoqi, Zhu De, Deng Xiaoping, Li Xiannian, Ye Jianying, Peng Dehuai, Chen Yi and other former leaders of the CPC and the PRC successively visited the museum and Chen Yi also gave his superscription of the museum name. In the 21st century, on May 17, 2010, Comrade Jiang Zemin made an inspection of the Anhui Museum and also left his inscriptions here. As the only museum that Chairman Mao Zedong inspected and where he made an instruction on museum development, the Anhui Museum is also the one that has been visited by the three generations of central collective leadership of the CPC.

    Since its founding, based on cultural relics, with exhibitions as the platform, historic relics conservation and scientific research as the driving force and publicity and education as the safeguard, the Anhui Museum has ranked among the national first-class museums and was awarded as the national key conservation unit of ancient books. The old building has been placed as an important cultural relic under provincial protection by Anhui Provincial People’s Government.

    The Anhui Museum now boasts a collection of 220,000 cultural relics including many distinctive categories, such as bronze ware of the Shang and Zhou dynasties, coins of the Chu State, stone relief of the Han Dynasty, four treasures of the study, gold and silver ware of the Yuan Dynasty, calligraphy and paintings of the Xin’an School, carvings of Huizhou, ancient books, contract documents of Huizhou and Pan Yuliang’s works, etc. In the conservation of cultural relics, the Anhui Museum has creatively removed the powdery rust of bronze ware with “partial electric corrosion” method and

  • applied“non-destructive holographic testing for cultural relics” technology to bronze ware and ceramics non-destructive testing. Both of the technologies have great impacts on the museum circle and the latter one has won the Testimonial Prize of Science and Technology Achievement issued by the Culture Ministry of the PRC and the third prize of Science and Technology by Anhui Provincial People’s Government. We have strong technological strength in mounting and repairing ancient and old calligraphy and paintings, restoring bronze ware, inscription conservation and rubbing-making. In 1994, after breaking the old exhibition system of comprehensive history, the Anhui Museum launched a large specialized exhibition“Anhui Ancient Civilization”,which was referred as the Anhui Model by the museum circle nationwide worthy of popularization. In 2007, Huizhou Vernacular Architecture was honored as one of Top Ten Excellent Exhibitions of Chinese Museum 2005 – 2006. Since 2002, the publicity squad of the Anhui Museum has gone to government departments, colleges and communities to spread museum knowledge, exerting a great influence on society. In March 2008, since adopting the free-admission policy, the museum has introduced, hosted and undertaken hundreds of various exhibitions and held seminars and lectures for almost a hundred times, receiving audiences and visitors of over 2 million.

    In 2001, with broad and long-term vision, Anhui Provincial Committee of the CPC and Provincial People’s Government decided to build a new site while reserve the old one. In December, 2005, the culture and museum park with the new site of the Anhui Museum as the main construction was formally approved by the government. In 2006, the maintenance and improvement of the old site were completed with special fund from Anhui Provincial Department of Finance. On January 16, 2007, the foundations of the new site were laid. The new site has a construction space of 41,000 square meters and an exhibition space of 10,000 square meters.

  • The construction style is typical of Huizhou architecture featuring five directions connected and raining water from four directions flowing into the central hall of yard. On September 29, 2011, the new site was open to the public, with one basic exhibition-Anhui Civilization History Exhibition and four special exhibitions-Huizhou Vernacular Architecture, Xin’an Painting School Exhibition, Four Treasures of the Study and Anhui Treasures Exhibition. Meanwhile, the old site is also open to the public, with focuses on Anhui Paleontological Exhibition, Pan Yuliang’s Paintings Exhibition, and the upcoming exhibitions of Anhui Modern History Exhibition and Anhui Economic and Cultural Achievement Exhibition since the foundation of the PRC.

    “Tell me not the great pass is iron wall kissing cloud, now we are crossing its summit with strides proud.” From 1956 to 2011, tens of thousands of rare and precious cultural relics have been benefiting the people despite wind and rain for the last half a century. The two sites, like two blossoming flowers, not only mark the museum’s ascent to the list of domestic advanced museums in terms of hardware, but also will certainly improve the management and contribute more to better conserving historic relics, spreading Anhui culture and enhancing the overall cultural strength of Anhui.

    To make the history nearer to the audience, the civilization closer and the culture carried on, the Anhui Museum stays focused on its journey to building a common spiritual homeland for humanity, trying harder and breaking its records continuously.